Teaching Manners...
Being a Mommy to a toddler has been a lot of fun. We have moved from the simple commands "do not touch" or "come here" into things that are so much more heart centered. Jacob's attempts at being obedient in the heart make me smile (and usually laugh!) every day.
Sharing - Jacob has learned that he should share. What this usually translates into is him letting his friends go first and then eagerly encouraging them to share so he can have a turn. With my friends who are also teaching their children to share, this is a beautiful thing (because they basically are all doing the same thing!).
Jacob: Here you go, your turn! Now Jakey's turn!
Friend: Here you go. Ok, my turn...
Etc...
So, maybe the real heart issues haven't changed yet, but it is pretty sweet to watch them TRY to be unselfish.
"May I Please?" - Jacob is learning to ask "politely" for things. While the phrase is supposed to be "may I please" it is usually "May I have..." with the please at the end - which is way better than "I want!" This does, however create some pretty humorous attempts at manners when what he wants isn't a tangible object. For example: "May I have get down now please?" or "May I have go upstairs?"
For those of you who have parented toddlers before, all of these things probably seem very routine and ordinary - but they are the highlights of my day! :) I am enjoying the last few weeks with just me and my little buddy knowing the routine of life is about to change radically.
Baby update: Baby brother should be joining us in 7-ish weeks. The pregnancy has gone very well so far - other than some anemia (who isn't??), both the baby and I have stayed very healthy and active. I am carrying VERY high with this baby, as I did with Jacob - and because of that I am measuring 2 weeks early. Dr. thinks it's probably because of where baby is located, but we're going to have an ultrasound to check on his size in a couple of weeks to make sure he isn't too big. We had a c-section with Jacob (after many hours of labor!) and have been planning to try a VBAC with this baby. Please pray for wisdom for us if the baby does measure large - we want to make a wise decision!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! I can't believe you're going to have baby #2 so soon! Jacob is way ahead of Elijah in his talking. I'm impressed he can even say sentences. I'm lucky to get anything more than a loud grunt or whine. So, we're working on using words in general... let along eloquently phrased polite ones. Way to go Jakey! But, he can ironically count to ten in Spanish ;-/
I was aiming for a VBAC (I am a PERFECT canidate)...but after talking with a labor/delivery nurse/friend (who is also a young mom) at a Church retreat- she urged me not to do it. She said the risk just simply isn't worth the 'outcome' (no post sugery recovery, cheaper kiddo...etc). I was bummed at first, but Eric was a huge fan of me NOT dying 'on the table' simply for the chance to not have another c-section. SO, it's off to surgery I go- in less than 6 weeks now! Wah-hoo!!
:-) Hang in there Brianne! I'm looking forward to meeting #2 and hearing about your transition to TWO kiddos! What fun, eh?
(ohh - I haven't been anemic with either pregnancy. FYI. But I'm sure I have other issues, you dont' experience either!...so whatever.)
Can't wait to "meet" the new little one!
And... for the record, I was anemic with both babies. I tried every iron supplement out there and they all did a number on me. Ick.
Post a Comment